Sunday, March 22, 2009

Pedal like the wind

NOT! Steady winds over 20mph today. Gusting at 40 to 50 mph. Usually, I'd stay off the bike on a day like today. But, I have some work to do. My first real race will be the Sea Otter Classic in mid April. I pre-rode the course with Darius and Darren last week. They are both racing it as well.

One thing I learned from the pre-ride...I have some work to do! I also managed to let myself slip up to 190+ lbs. That pre-ride hurt. And, I wasn't even going race pace. I'll be up against a bunch of every day lycra wearing dudes on 20 lb bikes while my "XC" light bike is at leasat 27lbs. Man do I have some work to do.

So, today I wanted to get out and just go at my own pace for about 2 hours and get in some good climbing. It turned out just short of 2 hours and about 2300 feet of climbing. Not bad. But, man, that wind was nuts! Most of the time while on top of ridges and what not, it was a cross wind...probably near that 40mph mean speed. I've never had to lean a bike that far over to go straight.

But, all in all, a decent ride. Didn't feel like crap. Felt like I got in some work, and just enjoyed being out there on the bike.

No comments: